Be An Inspiration
Share your story with the BASIC Fund Family. Write to us, send us a picture of your proudest achievements from High School or College, or just something awesome you’re doing that you would like to share. We want to hear from you!
Stanford University RISE Summer Internship Program
Dear BASIC Fund Alumni,
We were approached by the Director of Science Outreach from Stanford University to inform our alumni about this exceptional 2016 summer opportunity. The RISE Summer Internship Program is for High School students who have an interest in Science, Engineering, Math, Computer Science and Psychology. For more details about the program and eligibility, continue reading. If this is a program that interest you and qualify to apply, you must do the following:
Email the Director of Science Outreach at Stanford University; Kaye Storm at email@example.com by early January. Email must include:
- Your full name
- State your email address
- State your current High School
- And must identify yourself as a BASIC Fund alumni
Kaye Storm will then send you the instructions on how to apply for this summer internship program. Also cc: firstname.lastname@example.org if you decide to apply.
All the best,
The BASIC Fund
2016 Program Description
What is RISE?
The RISE (Raising Interest in Science and Engineering) Summer Internship Program for High School Students is sponsored by Stanford University. It’s an intensive 7-week summer program for students interested in science, engineering, math, computer science and psychology. Students spend 30 hours a week on the Stanford campus, working in an active research lab under the guidance of a mentor from the lab (typically a
graduate student), and attending weekly group sessions that include field trips, presentations, hands-on science activities, and lab tours. Students will also earn a $2,500 stipend.
Students are eligible to apply if they meet ALL of these criteria:
- Must have at least a 3.5 (weighted) GPA;
- Must have earned all As and Bs in science and math classes completed in high school;
- Must be 16 years old by June 15, 2016;
- Must be legally entitled to work in the U.S. (i.e., must have a Social Security Number);
- Must attend high school locally (within about a 25-mile radius of Stanford) and be able to commute to the Stanford campus on a daily basis;
- Must be a rising sophomore, junior or senior in summer 2016.
- Must have an interest in science, medicine, math, engineering, computer science or psychology;
- Must have demonstrated intelligence, maturity and initiative.
Students must also meet at least TWO of these eligibility criteria:
- Are from groups historically under-represented in science or engineering (Hispanic, African American, Pacific Islander or Native American);
- Are from a low-income family;
- Will be the first in their families (other than siblings) to go to a 4-year college.
The 2016 program dates are Wednesday, June 15 through Wednesday, August 3. Applicants must commit to attend the entire program in order to participate. Students will work six hours a day each weekday of the session (not including lunch time). Although exact schedules may vary, they will typically be on campus from about 10:00 am – 4:30 pm each day.
For questions or additional information:
Any questions, please email Kaye Storm at email@example.com.
Click here to direct you to the official RISE Summer Internship Program site.
Share your experiences and pictures with us through Social Media by using the hashtag #TBFBrainPower.